ResolvedSearch button for the Searchbox

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    zorro2288
    Participant

Hi Dimitar,

I hope you are doing well.

I just have a small but very useful suggestion. Presently, at the Search box, there is no Search button. This leads to both confusions and also create usability issues for some mobile users.

Would you please consider adding a Search button to the Search box? I think there is no down side for adding such Search button, only benefits.

Thanks in advance.

Althemist
    Keymaster

Hi zorro2288,

actually, the button is already there. You just need to show (and properly position) it with some CSS.

Regards,
    Dimitar

zorro2288
    Participant

Hi Dimitar,

Can you please show more info on how to show the button?

Thanks again.

Althemist
    Keymaster

Hi Andrew,

You can start with this and adjust as per your needs:

#search form > div {
        position: relative;
    }

#searchform input#searchsubmit {
        position: absolute !important;
        display: inline-block;
        width: 274px;
        height: auto;
        line-height: unset;
        top: auto;
        right: auto;
        bottom: -55px;
    }

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Dimitar

zorro2288
    Participant

Hi Dimitar,

Thanks for the CSS.

1) For some reasons, the button is not displayed with the CSS provided.

Just to ensure you understand what I mean. I was referring to adding a Search Button for the Search Box shown below:

https://screenpresso.com/=4nMuc

2) I noticed the Ajax Search Suggestions seem to be not shown on Mobile devices. I think it can be quite helpful for mobile users. Would it be possible to show Search Suggestion on Mobile Devices?

Thanks again 🙂

Althemist
    Keymaster

Just added the same code to our site here (we are also running on Rigid theme), so you can see it works fine.

EDIT: Make sure you add the code in the child-theme style.css OR in the Customizer > Additional CSS filed. The Custom CSS field in the Theme Options is using more restrictive sanitized output for security reasons and it strips some symbols like “>”.

Althemist
    Keymaster

Sorry, forgot the second question.

It’s hard to give you a working code that shows suggestions on mobile, because it wasn’t meant to work on mobiles initially. However, things changed since the theme was released and now (2 years later) it can certainly be done.

I’ll discuss with Alex when we can include this as an option.

Regards,
    Dimitar

zorro2288
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Althemist
    Keymaster

Hi Andrew,

there are some styles on your site conflicting the code I gave you. Added left and background styles and it’s now visible.

Regards,
    Dimitar

zorro2288
    Participant

Hi Dimitar,

It works now, thanks so much.

Another question regarding the Auto Suggest. I am referring to this: https://screenpresso.com/=76Lsc

We are using SearchWP at the moment. As you probably know, SearchWP injects its search results to replace the Native search result by Woocmmerce / WordPress. Meaning at the Search Result Page, the items are from SearchWP. Everything, including all the native Filters / Facets just work beautifully.

Based on my testing, the items in the Auto Suggest are still from Native Woocommerce / WordPress. Can you give us some idea on how to display the results from SearchWP instead?

Thanks again 🙂

Althemist
    Keymaster

Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately there is no easy way to do this. It’s doable, but some extensive development work would be required. You can read more about that here:

Live Search

Alternatively, you can disable our search and use a plugin like this:

SearchWP Live Ajax Search

I guess you have already explored those options, but there is nothing much we can do in this case. Incorporating third-party solutions is just of the scope of theme development.

Regards,
    Dimitar

zorro2288
    Participant

Hi Dimitar,

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I understand, no worries.

Regarding SearchWP Live Search, for some reason, I can’t get it to show. Based on the instructions below, I think it looks for the standard get_search_form()element. There is another way to show it, but it requires adding a data attribute to the Search Form.

Live Search

May I ask if there is an easy way to add a data attribute to the Search Form?

Thanks again and have a wonderful day 🙂

Althemist
    Keymaster

Hi Andrew,

Data attribute data-swplive=”true” added as per the instructions. Update will be released later today.

Also, the search button is now visible by default.

Best regards,
    Dimitar

zorro2288
    Participant

Thanks so much, Dimitar 🙂

I will keep watching for the new release.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in and have valid license to reply to this topic.

License required for any item belonging to this account
AlThemist

AlThemist

sales 13800, followers 699
Login and Registration Log in · Register